By: Michael Plahn
This may be the most important article on alcohol or substance abuse (or addiction) you will ever read. This may finally be the formula for solving the addiction issue in your family? Strangely enough, the answer is straightforward and simple in theory. However, why does it seem that many afflicted with addiction and/or mental illness, who want to recover, continue to suffer, even after professional treatment? Are you aware that some success rates are less than 10%? Don’t those low efficacy rates seem absurd?
- Hire a qualified objective professional to be your family’s personal advocate throughout the entire process and to help you select the appropriate level of treatment to offer to your addicted loved-one
- Have this same qualified objective professional recommend potential solutions for you and other family members such as Family Intensives (treating the entire family system is often overlooked)
- Have the hired professional liaise with potential treatment facilities that can execute appropriate treatment programs to meet the needs of your addicted loved-one (have your advocate help you narrow the options to 2-3 qualified facilities)
- Have a professional execute a compassionate and dignified form of Intervention/Family Meeting to present the treatment options in a loving manner
- Contract with the same professional to accompany your addicted loved-one to the selected facility and prepare him or her for an optimal beginning to treatment (this is much more than just getting them there safely…Contact LSA to learn how we do this and why it is so essential)
- Follow a continuum of care recommended by the professionals and needed by your afflicted family member (Primary treatment, Extended Care, Outpatient, or Customized Aftercare specific to the individual’s needs) as recommended by the treatment facility and professional advocate initially hired by the family
- Have the family commit to Family Intensives, individual, group, and/or 12-Step help for a minimum of six-months
- Engage with a customized multi-disciplinary program (that incorporates a 12-Step program) such as LSA’s Recovery Coaching to help your afflicted loved-one to re-acclimate to the ‘Real World’ and continue to grow, change, and stay supported throughout his or her first year of Recovery
If you, and your family take all of these suggestions, then your family and afflicted loved-one will change more than you will ever believe right now. I’m serious! I hear a ton of excuses as to why an individual or family cannot commit to certain actions. And, guess what? Those people continue to suffer. True, it is their choice, but it does not have to be their destiny.
Sadly, but understandably, most families affected by a family member’s addiction and behavior don’t believe their loved-one will really ever embrace help and change. However, if you follow the aforementioned actions leading up to and through the entrance into an appropriate treatment facility, you will be absolutely amazed. If you follow all of the aforementioned recommendations, it is very possible that I will be reading an inspirational book you write about the process because of the dramatic change you and your family gratefully experience.
But, that means, no short cuts! If anyone deviates from the plan (especially the addicted family member), don’t be surprised if there is a relapse, your family goes back to status quo, falls apart, or worse. I know this sounds rigid and dramatic, but this is a terminal disease that will also rip apart the fabric of the family. This is one of the many reasons that qualified professional help is so essential.
I am hired to provide solutions for individuals, families, and businesses…many times for individuals who are especially defiant and difficult. Contact LSA to allow me to stop the pattern of misery and destruction addiction has caused in your life or in the life of someone you know through The LSA Pre-Treatment Solution and LSA Recovery Coaching.